Institute of Adventist Studies
This institute was founded in 2010 as part of Friedensau Adventist University and closely cooperates with the Historical Archives of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Europe. It seems evident that an Adventist university should take a particularly close look at the history and theology of Adventism.
Because of their strong eschatological orientation, Adventists did not begin to take an interest in their own history until a relatively late stage. Research on the history and theology of Adventism as a denomination, and of the tendencies associated with it, should not just remain the preserve of a few select specialists. Thus the institute opens its doors to the public with symposia, collections of documents, academic publications, and courses.
Members of the institute do research about various aspects of Adventist theology and history. Besides many other publishing channels, findings of the institute are published in the journal Spes Christiana and in the Series Adventistica (Studies in Seventh-day Adventist History and Theology). Among the current projects are the following:
- 2018 Symposium: "Contours of European Adventism: Issues in the History of the Denomination on the Old Continent" (April 23–26)
- Encyclopedia of Seventh-day Adventists (large parts of Europe - EUD and ESD territories)
- 2014 Symposium: The Impact of World War I on Seventh-day Adventism
- 2016 Symposium: Perceptions of the Protestant Reformation in Seventh-day Adventism (May 9-12, 2016)
- Research Project: Adventist Interchurch Relations (see here in the section “Habilitation project”)
- The institute consists of members who do research on various aspects of Adventism. Please address your membership applications to the Institute Director, Prof. Pöhler.
- Research Associate (Encyclopedia Project): Chigemezi-Nnadozie Wogu, MTS
- Institute Committee Members:
- For general inquiries, write to Filip Kapusta, stud. theol., IAS Assistant.
Helpful Links - Adventist Theology and History
General Adventist Studies:
- Center of Adventist Research (CAR, Andrews University): https://www.andrews.edu/library/car
- Links from the CAR: https://www.andrews.edu/library/car/links.htm
- James White Library (Andrews University; the most comprehensive collection of Adventist literature): http://www.andrews.edu/library
- General Conference Archives (More than 100,000 historical Adventist magazine scans and an abundance of other useful materials): http://www.adventistarchives.org/DocArchives.asp
- SDA Periodical Index (early 1970s to present): http://www.andrews.edu/library/car/sdapiindex.html
- SDA Periodical Index 1951–1965: http://www.adventistarchives.org/documents.asp?CatID=171&SortBy=1&ShowDateOrder=True
- Biblical Research Institute, General Conference: http://www.adventistbiblicalresearch.org
- Index Cards (Microfiche) Review & Herald magazine: Historiscal Archives at Friedensau
Ellen G. White Studies:
- Ellen G. White Writings: Comprehensive Research Edition 2008, CD-ROM, 2009.
- Database of the Ellen White’s writings: http://www.whiteestate.org/search/search.asp
- Statements mistakenly attributed to Ellen White: http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/issues.asp#section4
- Ellen G. White Digital Resource Center: http://drc.whiteestate.org
- EGW Branch Offices; EGW Research Centers: http://www.whiteestate.org/about/estate.asp#branchoffices