­Frequently Asked Questions ­­and Practical Information­

Study at a State-Accredited University

Degrees from private and public universities are equivalent, as both university types enjoy full state accreditation. Private and public universities have to fulfill the same quality criteria for being granted state accreditation. Since the Bologna process, which mostly stands for the introduction of Bachelor's and Master's programs, private and public universities have to undergo the same accreditation procedure.

Admission Requirements at Private and Public Universities

There is no big difference in the admission requirements at private and public universities. Students are only admitted if they fulfill the admission requirements (higher education entrance qualification).

The admission requirement for a Bachelor's program is the General Higher Education Entrance Qualification (Abitur). At Friedensau Adventist University (FAU), there is no numerus clausus. Students may also be admitted to study at FAU without the Abitur if they pass the assessment test.

The admission requirement for a Master's program is a first university degree with a grade of at least 2.0 or 2.5, depending on the program. In Saxony-Anhalt, students with only a professional qualification and no first university degree are not granted admission to a Master's program.

­General Questions­

Icon FragezeichenHow old must I be to study at FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

You have to be 18 years old to study at FAU.

Icon FragezeichenAre degrees from FAU state-accredited?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! All degrees offered at FAU are accredited by Evalag (Evaluationsagentur Baden-Württemberg) and the Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges, and Universities (AAA).

Icon FragezeichenCan I do a PhD / doctorate at FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! FAU offers PhD supervision in cooperation with the Gesellschaft für Bildung und Forschung in Europa (GBFE). Enrollment in a PhD program requires a Master’s degree (M.A. or M.T.S.) in the same or a related discipline.

The PhD degree will be awarded by the University of South Africa (UNISA). In addition to an annual colloquium at GBFE, FAU can supervise PhD research.

Icon FragezeichenAre there any job opportunities in Friedensau?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! There are various job opportunities on campus and in the nearby retirement home. Please get in contact with

Minh Hang Le

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-128

Icon FragezeichenIs there public transportation?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! FAU students get the semester ticket with which they can use the entire public transportation network in Jerichower Land, to Magdeburg, and in the City of Magdeburg without any additional costs.

Icon FragezeichenWho to call in case of emergency or fire?

Icon Ausrufezeichen
  • Police: 110
  • Fire brigade/emergency: 112
  • Toxic emergency: +49 361 730 730
  • To block a credit card: +49 361 116 116

Icon FragezeichenHow to call Friedensau from your country of origin?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Landlines in Friedensau

If you, family members, or friends want to call a landline number in Friedensau, use the following system: +49 3921 916 xxx

  • +49 = country code for Germany
  • 3921= area code (Möckern)
  • 916 = local code (Friedensau)
  • xxx = the extension of the phone number you want to call in Friedensau

Please make sure you know the last three digits of the person or office you want to call.

Cell phone calls all over Germany

If you, family members, or friends want to call a cell phone number in Germany, use the following system:

  • +49 xxxx xxxxxxx, simply add the cell phone number after the country code of Germany

Regarding cell phones, there are many providers in Germany: e.g. Vodafone, T-Mobile, e-plus, and O2. We advise our students to use T-Mobile or Lebara as they are prepaid and work well on campus. Contact the Service of International Students (SIS) to get assistance with buying a prepaid SIM card or cell phone.

Icon FragezeichenCan I bring and use my electronic devices from home?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! But: Germany’s electrical system runs on approx. 230 volts. Please make sure that the electric devices you bring with you work on approx. 230 volts and don’t melt or explode upon high-voltage contact.

Please be careful and check whether your electronic devices, especially the adapter, can run on approx. 220 volts. If not, we advise you to buy a universal adapter or a converter for your current adapter.

In Germany, the plugs and sockets look like this:

Icon FragezeichenWhat to do if I want to see a doctor?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Students are informed about the procedure how to visit a doctor during the orientation meeting. FAU has a Service for International Students (SIS) which provides international students with help regarding medical issues. For more information contact:

Renate Dost

Telefon: +49 (0) 3921 916-194

Icon FragezeichenWhat to do if I still have a question that has not been answered?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Please get in contact with the Admissions Office which will answer your question as soon as possible.

Contact: Irina Heinz

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-134
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

­Admission Process­

Icon FragezeichenHow to apply for studies at FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

For more information about application and admission, see here or get in contact with the Admissions Office.

Contact: Irina Heinz

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-134
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

Icon FragezeichenIs there an application deadline?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! For dates and deadlines, see the study program information on the website.

Icon FragezeichenHow much time does the admission process require?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Students who need visa should start approx. 8-10 months before the beginning of the studies.

Students who do not need visa should start approx. 4-6 months before the beginning of the studies.

Icon FragezeichenHow do I know that I have been admitted?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

The Admissions Office will send you a notice of admission as soon as your application is accepted by the Admissions Committee and Finance Committee. You will then be asked to transfer the down payment and the deposit to FAU. After that, you will receive the letter of admission (and other documents necessary for the embassy).

Icon FragezeichenWho to contact if I have questions on the admission process?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Please get in contact with the Admissions Office.

Contact: Irina Heinz

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-134
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

Icon FragezeichenWhat to do with the letter of admission from FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

You need the letter of admission to apply for your student visa to enter Germany. Besides, you should take it with you when travelling to Germany since you will need it at the airport or port of entry, or when applying for a visa extension.

­First Days in Friedensau­

Icon FragezeichenDo I have to attend the orientation meeting?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! It is mandatory and will take place during the introduction week.

Icon FragezeichenDo I have to do any legal formalities after arriving in Friedensau?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! Report to the local registration authority and foreigners authority immediately after your arrival. For more information, contact the Admissions Office.

Irina Heinz

Head | Admissions Office and International Office

Telephone: +49 (0) 3921 916-134

Icon FragezeichenHow to get German health insurance?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

For more information, see here.

Icon FragezeichenHow to open a bank account, get a SIM-card and Internet access?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

After obtaining the student visa, you can easily open a bank account with any bank in the nearby city of Burg. You can also buy a SIM card from any supermarket in the nearby cities, although sometimes having a little knowledge of German helps in these transactions. Students can contact the Service for International Students (SIS) for assistance.

Renate Dost

Head Consulting and Social Affairs

Telephone: +49 (0) 3921 916-194

There is both wireless and wired Internet connection on campus. The HRZ (University Computer Center) will help you to get internet access.

Oliver Baier

Head University Computer Center

Telephone: +49 (0) 3921 916-777


Icon FragezeichenCan I study part-time?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

We only have a few part-time study programs. See the information on the website.

Icon FragezeichenIn which language are the programs taught at FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Either German or English is the course language, depending on the program.

Icon FragezeichenIs there a limit to the number of students at FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

No! Normally, there is no limit to the number of students at FAU. Nevertheless, FAU always seeks to admit students based on the evaluation of all applicants.

Icon FragezeichenWhen will I have breaks and vacations?

Icon Ausrufezeichen
  • Winter break: from mid-February to mid-March
  • Summer break: from the beginning of July to end of September
  • Christmas vacations: from mid-December to the first week of January

Icon FragezeichenAre there internship opportunities?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! Practical experience is an integral part of all programs at FAU. For more information, see here.

Icon FragezeichenDo I have to speak German if I study in English?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

No! German knowledge is not required for programs taught in English. However, FAU strongly encourages its students to learn some German for everyday situations.

Icon FragezeichenCan I transfer credits from another university to FAU and vice versa?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Please get in contact with the Admissions Office.

Contact: Irina Heinz

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-134
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201


Icon FragezeichenIs there any application fee?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

No! FAU does not charge an application fee.

Icon FragezeichenIs there any financial support for international students?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! There are various opportunities for financial supports for international students at FAU. For more information, see here.

Icon FragezeichenWork off-campus?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

There are various opportunities for students to find jobs off-campus. Students can find jobs in nearby towns and cities and even big cities like Berlin. It is, however, not the responsibility of FAU to find jobs for students off-campus.

Icon FragezeichenWhy do I have to pay the down payment and the deposit and when?

Icon Ausrufezeichen
  • The down payment and the deposit serve as a bond between the student and FAU.
  • The down payment is credited in full to the student's tuition account and is only a partial payment for fees.
  • The deposit is held in a separate account and will be returned to the student when leaving FAU, provided that all accounts are clear.
  • The down payment and the deposit must be paid before the beginning of the studies.

­Visa Procedure­

The visa authorizes you to enter but not to remain in Germany. Visas have an expiration date and may be valid for different time periods and purposes, such as pleasure, business, and studies.

International students who want to enroll at a German university can only do so with a student visa. You must apply for a student visa in your country of origin at the German embassy or consulate nearest to you. The following information will guide you through all steps in the application procedure for a student visa from your country of origin and will explain to you what to do when arriving in Germany.

Icon PlusGeneral information

In general, the following documents must be submitted along with a student visa application form (for further information, please contact the German embassy in your country of origin):

  • Letter of admission from FAU
  • Proof of sufficient financial means to cover living expenses for the duration of at least the first academic year. Usually, after paying the down payment and deposit to FAU, the Admissions Office of FAU will send you a document for the embassy.
  • Copy of your higher education entrance qualification
  • Health certificate, if necessary
  • The submission of additional documents may be necessary, depending on your country of origin
  • Biometric passport photos (for further information about the format of the biometric passport photo, see here)

The visa application procedure usually takes at least 6 to 8 weeks. Please check in advance how much time you need to get an appointment at the respective embassy. Please apply as early as possible! It is your responsibility to apply for the student visa in time, so that you can arrive in Friedensau in time and begin your studies on time.

Please note!!! Never travel to Germany on a tourist visa since a tourist visa cannot be converted into a student visa.

Icon PlusEntry formalities and visa regulations

It can often take several months before a visa is issued. So you should apply for the visa in good time. If you enter Germany late, you may possibly miss a number of important dates or deadlines and thus, jeopardize your university enrollment. However, if you have not enrolled at your university, you cannot get a "residence permit for the purpose of studying" (Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Studienzwecke). When applying for your visa you should also make absolutely sure that you are applying for the right visa. A "tourist visa" or "language course visa" cannot be subsequently changed into a "student visa". If you have the wrong visa, you will, unfortunately, have to leave the country again. Please also take care to make sure that your passport is still valid. If your identity documents have expired, you will have to return to your country of origin to have them extended there.

After entry immediately report to the registration authority and foreigners authority:

After arriving in Germany, you have to go straight to the registration authority (Einwohnermeldeamt) to give them your address in Germany and then to the immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde) in order to apply for the "residence permit for the purpose of studying". The residence permit is initially valid for a maximum of two years and costs €110. If your international degree program is scheduled to last three years, you will have to have your residence permit extended before the two years are over. To get the extension you must prove that you are progressing in your studies as expected, in other words, that you have gained all the required credits and passed all the required exams so far. The immigration authority in Burg, where Friedensau students have to apply for a visa or a residence permit, requires that you apply for an extension 6 weeks before your visa expires.

Please take the following documents with you to the immigration authority:

  • Your confirmation of residence registration issued by the registration authority
  • Proof that you have private or statutory health insurance
  • Student ID card from your university
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources, if not already verified when the visa was issued
  • Valid passport (at least 6 months after your arrival in Germany)
  • Money to pay the residence permit fee (€110 for each family member depending on the duration of the residence permit).

Electronic residence permit (eAT)

From September 1, 2011, German residence permits are no longer put in passports in the form of a "sticker". According to the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, these adhesive labels will be replaced by an eAT in credit card format. Each family member needs to have his/her own eAT. The eAT contains a contactless chip carrying personal data, biometric characteristic (photo and fingerprints), and additional special conditions. The chip contains the electronic proof of identity and offers an electronic signature function. Important: The eAT is valid only as long as the holder is in possession of a valid passport. Therefore, please make sure that your passport is valid for at least 2 years if you come to Germany for studies, or for 1 year if you come to take the German course only.

For more detailed information about the eAT, see here.

All about residence legislation

Whether or not you need a visa and a residence permit for entering Germany depends on your nationality and on the purpose of your stay. Please contact the relevant German mission abroad (the addresses of the embassies and consulates may be found on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office) to find out whether you need a visa. The staff will also tell you which papers and documents you need for the visa application and whether you possibly need a residence permit. The following provides you with an overview of some key facts to give you an initial idea of how it all works:

Visa is not required for citizens of the following countries

Citizens of EU and EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway):

  • Residence permit: Not required
  • Identity documents: Valid passport or ID card
  • Obligations on arrival: You must report to the registration authority (Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgeramt) within the first two weeks. The registration office will automatically issue a certificate confirming that you hold a residence permit for the purpose of studying. For this, you must prove that you have health insurance and are able to finance your studies from your own resources.

Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea (South Korea), New Zealand, Switzerland, the United States:

  • Residence permit: You do not need an entry visa for Germany. After your arrival in Germany, you must apply for a residence permit at the immigration office.
  • Identity documents: Valid passport
  • Obligations on arrival: You must report to the registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgeramt) within the first two weeks. You must apply for a "residence permit for the purpose of studying" from the relevant immigration authority within three months of arrival.

Citizens of Andorra, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino:

  • Entry visa: Only required if you want to work in Germany before or after your studies.
  • Residence permit: If you do need a residence permit, you can apply for this after arriving in Germany.
  • Identity documents: Valid passport
  • Obligations on arrival: You must report to the registration authority (Einwohnermeldeamt or Bürgeramt) within the first two weeks. You must apply for a "residence permit for the purpose of studying" from the relevant immigration authority within three months of arrival in Germany.

Visa obligation

International students from a third country must, with a few exceptions, obtain a visa for entry into Germany. They can get this visa from the relevant German mission abroad. Basically, the process differentiates between two types of visas.

The Schengen visa is issued for a short stay (for example, tourism, participation in a summer language course) of up to three months per half-yearly period. Beware: Holders of a Schengen Visa must leave the country again after three months at the latest. This means the Schengen Visa is not a suitable instrument if you wish to study, do a PhD, or complete a research stay in Germany.

A national visa is issued for stays lasting longer than three months (for example, to attend a preparatory course at a Studienkolleg or to study a full program).

Student applicants who have not yet been admitted to a German university or Studienkolleg can apply for a student applicant visa. It is valid for three months and can be converted into a residence permit for the purpose of studying once you have been admitted to a higher education institution. Another type of visa is the language course visa. But beware: This is only valid for the length of the language course. It cannot be converted into a student visa. If you plan to take a language course in connection with your degree studies, this must be stated when you apply for your visa. You have to apply for a student visa or a student applicant visa if the purpose of your stay is to study in Germany.

Visas are required of citizens from these countries who plan to stay for more than three months:

Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Romania, Singapore, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela:

  • Entry visa: A visa is not required for stays lasting any longer than three months. However, you must leave the country again after the three months have expired. If you are planning a longer study stay or intend to take up a job that requires approval by the Federal Employment Agency, then you need a national visa for entry into Germany and a "residence permit for the purpose of studying" for the stay.
  • Identity documents: Valid passport (and for longer stays, a visa entered into your passport)

FAQ: Can you stay in Germany after graduation?

A new Immigration Act, which has been in force in Germany since January 1, 2005, aims to enable highly-qualified people from abroad to enter the German employment market more easily and to offer them long-term prospects. For international students who have completed their studies in Germany, i.e., graduated, the Act states: After completing your studies, you can extend your stay and spend up to one year looking for a job in Germany that is appropriate to your qualifications. Highly qualified foreigners, who have a job offer in Germany, can receive a (permanent) settlement permit without the need for any labor market checks or the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.

­Health Insurance­

Health insurance in Germany is obligatory for all foreign students!

The cost of the student's health insurance is not included in the fees that students pay for their studies at FAU. Every student is required to have recognized health insurance coverage at all times. Insurance fees and medical expenses are solely the student's responsibility. A valid health insurance policy on the basis of the legal requirements is a mandatory prerequisite for registration and must be maintained throughout the period of registration, irrespective of the student's place of residence.

Icon PlusHealth insurance in Germany

According to the student contract § III.3 (f) and the German law, every student must provide proof of a valid health insurance. FAU gives you the following information on health insurance in Germany:

In Germany, it is mandatory for students to have health insurance by a statutory health insurance provider. This means that you have to pay health insurance contributions throughout your studies. Proof of health insurance is also absolutely essential for extending the residence permit/student visa. If you do not have a health insurance policy, you cannot enroll at any university in Germany. So please do not forget to take out health insurance as soon as you arrive. The Admissions Office will help you in this matter.

Private or statutory (public) health insurance?

You can choose between private and statutory (public) health insurance providers in Germany. Up until the age of 30 years or up to the 14th study semester, you must be insured by a statutory health insurance provider. Only in exceptional cases, you are allowed to take out private health insurance.

Most students are insured with a statutory health insurance provider in any case, since these generally cover more medical risks than private health insurance providers. At present, the monthly statutory health insurance contributions for students under the age of 30 years is approx. 92 euros per month (student rate), for students older than 30 years approx. 166 euros per month (volunteer rate). Spouses and children of the insured person are also covered by statutory health insurance without paying more, if they have no personal or little income. If you decide to take out a private health insurance, you have to pay, for example with Mawista, 37.20 euros per month during the first year and from the second year on, 60.80 euros per month (accident and liability insurance included). Students over the age of 40 years have to pay 74.90 euros (first year) / 119.00 euros (from the second year on) per month. Every family member (spouse and children) has to pay his/her own health insurance contributions with a private health insurance provider. Private health insurance providers, including Mawista, do not cover expenses for the treatment of chronic diseases that you had before coming to Germany. For the treatment of these diseases, you have to pay privately. Please also note that if you choose a private health insurance provider you cannot switch to a statutory health insurance provider any more. You will have to stay with the private heath insurance provider until the end of your studies, except if you are a student in a preparatory courses, such as the German course.

Students in preparatory courses, such as the German course, can be insured only by a private health insurance provider. When they pass to a regular study program they may switch to a statutory health insurance provider.

Who needs what kind of insurance coverage?

  • In principle, the following applies: To study in Germany, you must, until the age of 30 years or up to the 14th study semester, be insured with a statutory health insurance provider in Germany. Most of the health insurance providers offer favourable student rates.
  • Exception: Exceeded the age limit of 30 years: If you are more than 30 years old or have completed the 14th study semester, you can no longer make use of the favorable student rates offered by the statutory health insurance providers. Then, you have two options: First, to take out voluntary health insurance coverage with a statutory health insurance provider (which costs approx. 170 euros per month) or, second, take out private health insurance (which costs for example approx. 60 euros per month for students under the age of 40 years with the private health insurance provider Mawista). Please also note that private health insurance providers cover fewer medical risks than statutory health insurance providers. For example, if you had a chronic disease before coming to Germany, the treatment of this disease will not be covered by a private health insurance provider. Private health insurance providers do not cover preventive examinations, routine checks, and similar treatment. Therefore, we strongly advise students who are older than 30 years and have chronic diseases to take out a voluntary health insurance policy with a statutory health insurance provider even though it costs more.
  • Exception: Social Security Agreements: Social Security Agreements have been signed with some countries (including the member states of the EU and the EEA). In such cases, you may, under certain circumstances, remain insured via the health insurance provider in your country of origin. To do this, you have to present a number of documents in Germany. In most cases, EU citizens have to present a European Health Insurance Card or form E 128 /E 111. Before departing for Germany, please make sure that you find out which papers you have to present. Please also check in advance with your home health insurance provider what benefits it will pay in Germany. Foreign health insurance providers do not always cover all the costs that occur here. If this is the case, students may end up having to pay additional costs themselves.
  • Exception: If you have a private health insurance in you country of origin: In some cases, private health insurance from other countries will be recognized in Germany. If this is the case, you will need a letter of confirmation saying that you are exempted from compulsory insurance in the statutory health insurance. You must present this letter when enrolling at FAU. Please note, however, that privately-insured persons must first pay all the costs of medical services and medication themselves in Germany and can then claim these costs back from the health insurance provider in their country of origin.

Additional information regarding the health insurance in Germany can be found here.

All about patient rights

The following tells you which rights and obligations you have towards doctors and your health insurance provider.

Best to find out about health insurance benefits and payments in advance

Even though you are a member of a health insurance fund, that does not mean that the provider is responsible for all the costs that arise in respect to your health or medical care. Thus, please find out from your health insurance provider in advance what benefits and payments you can claim. The statutory and private health insurance providers pay part of the costs for medical and dental treatment, for medication (drugs and medicines), for medical adjuvants and aids, for stays in hospital (in-patient treatment), for treatment by therapists (such as physiotherapy), or rehabilitation measures. Depending on the health insurance provider, the benefits and payments that you are entitled to, can vary considerably. Often, patients have to pay a personal excess (contribution). In addition, there are adjuvants, aids, and forms of treatment that patients have to pay completely themselves. Depending on the financial situation, patients can be exempted from having to pay the personal excess. You have to apply to your health insurance provider for such exemption.

Always carry your health insurance card (or policy) with you

The health insurance card (Gesundheitskarte) is your "entrance ticket" to all medical services and preventative measures covered by your health insurance. You get the card as soon as you become a member of a health insurance. Every time you go to the doctor, you have to present your health insurance card. The health insurance provider will then settle the payments directly with the statutory health insurance provider (does not apply to private health insurance providers). As a rule, you have nothing to do with this settlement of costs.

Free choice of doctor and hospital

As a rule, you are free in Germany to choose which doctor and which hospital you go to. Exception: If you are a member of a statutory health insurance fund, your doctor must be registered with the panel of the German health insurance scheme. If the doctor is not registered as a panel doctor, you will have to pay the costs of treatment yourself.

Thus, when choosing your doctor, please also check the medical specialty and main treatment areas. There are general practitioners (Allgemeinmediziner or Hausarzt) in Germany. Normally, you go to these doctors with everyday illnesses (such as a cold or upset stomach) or if your illness is unclear. In such cases, the general practitioner will mostly refer the patient for further diagnosis and treatment to a specialist (such as an internist, an ophthalmologist, an orthopaedist, or a gynecologist). However, you can also go directly to a specialist without such a referral. All panel doctors settle their payments directly with your health insurance provider.

Hospital treatment

There are state, charitable, denominational, and private hospitals in Germany. As a rule, you are admitted to a hospital by a doctor. But, essentially, you have the right to choose the hospital yourself. If necessary, all insured persons have the right to in-patient hospital treatment. Such a hospital stay may be required, for example, when other forms of treatment are not satisfactory.

The health insurance provider pays for items required for medical treatment in hospital, such as consultation by a doctor, nursing care, provision of medication, remedies, aids and adjuvants, accommodation and meals. However, during the first 28 days, you have to pay a small day-rate as a contribution to the costs.

Many medicines and drugs only available by prescription

You can obtain medication (medicines and drugs) from pharmacies (Apotheke) and, increasingly, online, too. However, a differentiation is made between non-prescription drugs and prescription drugs, i.e., where you need a prescription issued by a doctor. The statutory health insurance providers only pay for prescription drugs. However, patients have to pay a small excess, a set personal contribution.

Please note that the German Drugs Act is very strict. Some of the drugs that are prescription-free in your country of origin (for example, antibiotics) have to be prescribed by a doctor here.

Health insurance has to be commenced on the day of arrival. Insurance can be started at the beginning of the month and is valid for the entire month. For instance, if the start is on January 1, the end is on January 31. There is no possibility of payments for daily or weekly insurance periods. If possible, the total insurance premium should be paid for the whole period of your stay. We advise you to pay in monthly installments if you are staying for a prolonger period of time.

­Arriving in Friedensau­

Icon FragezeichenWhen is the best time to start at FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

The best time to start at FAU is the winter semester.

Icon FragezeichenHow to get to Friedensau from Berlin?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

FAU offers 1 or 2 appointments for a pickup service in Berlin at BER, normally, 10 days before the official start of the semester. Exact information regarding arrival days will be provided by the admissions office ca 2-3 months before semester starts. Students who choose other days for arrival will receive detailed information about how to get to Friedensau by public transportation. Before booking a flight, please get in contact with the Admissions Office. It's not possible to arrive at the weekends.

Contact: Irina Heinz

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-134
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

Icon FragezeichenWhen to arrive in Friedensau?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

You should arrive approx. 10 days before the official start of the semester. International students must attend the introduction week, which takes place from Monday to Friday in the week before the official start of the semester. During this week, the Admissions Office helps international students with all legal formalities (such as visa application, residence registration, bank, etc.) and offers some other activities (such as introduction meeting, intercultural training, etc.).

Icon FragezeichenWho to meet first once arrived in Friedensau?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Once arrived in Friedensau, the first person to get in touch with is Hanna Arhin-Sam, the Head of Student Accommodation, for your room, and then Irina Heinz, Head of the Admissions Office, for other student matters.

Contact: Hanna Arhin-Sam

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-141

Contact: Irina Heinz

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-134

­Accommodation and Food­

Icon FragezeichenDo I have to live in the student residence or can I live off-campus?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

You are free to live either on campus or off-campus.

Icon FragezeichenAre there apartments for couples and/or families?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! FAU provides apartments for married couples. We recommend to apply in advance since they are limited in number. For more information, get in contact with Hanna Arhin-Sam, the Head of Student Accommodation.

Contact: Hanna Archin-Sam

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-141

Icon FragezeichenCan I have a private room?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Our student residence provides both double and single rooms. However, single rooms are limited in number. Hanna Arhin-Sam, the Head of Student Accommodation, will take care of your application.

Contact: Hanna Arhin-Sam

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-141

Icon FragezeichenWhat furniture will I have in my room?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

In your room, you will find the following furniture: 1 bed, 1 chair, 1 study desk, 1 mirror, cupboards, drawers, and bookshelves. In addition, you will also get 1 bed cover, 1 blanket, 1 pillow, and 1 bed sheet.

Icon FragezeichenHow to connect a computer to the Internet in the student residence?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

The university provides students with Internet access. Usually it is over a CAT6 network tool box provided in your rooms / apartments. To connect your laptop to this socket, you need a suitable LAN cable (CAT6 or CAT7 - EIA / TIA 568B). The cable should not be longer than 2-5 meters. If your computer does not provide a connection for such a LAN cable, it should be able to connect an Ethernet LAN adapter via USB. The university cannot provide such adapters. Please only buy LAN cables according to the AT&T standard EIA / TIA 568B. Other cables do not work in Europe.

Icon FragezeichenCan I use electrical equipment?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Yes! But: The power supply is approx. 230 volts, 50 hertz. Electrical equipment of lower than 2 kilowatts may be used. Power restrictions are to be respected. In Germany Type C (Euro plug) and Type F (Schuko) plugs are used.

Icon FragezeichenWhere to get food on campus?

Icon Ausrufezeichen


The cafeteria offers three meals a day. The timetable is as follow:

  • Breakfast: 07:00-09:00
  • Lunch: 12:15-13:30
  • Supper: 17:30-18:30

This schedule is slightly different on weekends, public holidays, and during the semester break.

You can pay with cash or your transponder.

For more information, see here.


There is also the Ladencafé, a small café with shop on campus. For more information, see here.

­Social and Spiritual Life­

Icon FragezeichenWhere to get information about upcoming events?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Upcoming events are communicated to the students in different ways:

  • the ThH Friedensau App
  • the university e-mail address
  • the mailbox
  • the notice boards
  • in spiritual events, e.g., Meeting under the Word, Shabbat Shalom, church services

Icon FragezeichenWhat about social activities on campus?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

There are public spaces on campus, e.g., the student center (StuZ), where you can meet people, enjoy non-alcoholic drinks, eat snacks, play games, listen to music, watch TV and movies, enjoy parties, etc.

Icon FragezeichenWhat about sports on campus?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

You can do/play badminton, ballet, basketball, handball, table tennis, volleyball, and indoor soccer in the gym. Access to the gym is free of charge. And you can play chess, table tennis, and tennis in the park. Please get in contact with

Jessica Terhorst

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-150
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

In case you are interested in bodybuilding, you can have access to the fitness room for just a small fee. Please get in contact with

Ralph Spiegler

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-177
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-120

Icon FragezeichenWhat about spiritual life at FAU?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

Spiritual life is very important to the people living in Friedensau. Everyone is invited to attend the events.

  • Prayer group: every morning at 7 am in the CON basement
  • Meeting under the Word: every Wednesday at 9:45 in the assembly hall (Aula)
  • Sabbath Shalom: every Friday at 7:30 pm either in the assembly hall (Aula) or in the student center (StuZ)
  • Church service: every Sabbath at 10:30 am in the chapel (Kapelle)
  • Small group: There are several small groups in Friedensau.

For more information, get in contact with

Dittmar Dost

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-195
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

Icon FragezeichenDo I have to belong to a church?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

No! People with totally different world views are studying at FAU: Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, atheists. As an Adventist institution, FAU demands respect for other religions, world views, and cultures. FAU is convinced that faith, education, and lifestyle are inseparable, and strives to reflect a spirituality based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.


Icon PlusUniversity Library

FAU students enjoy research in the modern University Library, which offers probably more than you have time to read. The University Library presently comprises of 330 periodicals as well as some 90,000 books, audiovisual material, and approx. 15,000 sheet music items. There are about 330 hard copy periodicals as well as 4,500 online periodicals that are accessible to FAU students. (http://search.epnet.com).

Explore the Collection

The complete library collection is categorized in the electronic catalog OPAC and can be accessed from the numerous computers in the library. To view the online database: https://vzlbs3.gbv.de/DB=11.2/LNG=DU/

Borrow Material

For students, faculty and staff, all library material is freely accessible and most material may be borrowed, except for periodicals. Loans are free of charge. The loan period is four weeks. A maximum of two loan extensions per item may be possible. In the event that deadlines are changed, you will be notified. However, a fine is charged for any overdue material.

Interlibrary Loans

  • Items that are not in our library collection may be requested online from our partner libraries as an interlibrary loan or document delivery: http://www.gbv.de
  • Interlibrary loans are charged with € 1.50 per item.
  • The library orders are delivered to an Ariel document delivery station, with online documents being sent online.


  • The library has computers with internet access and more than 100 CD-ROM databases for research purposes.
  • All computers are connected to a printer, allowing for the printing of search results. The digital library also contains online encyclopedias and standard works in addition to full text documents.
  • For more information about the University Library: http://bibliothek.thh-friedensau.de

Children’s Library

The library offers a special reading area for children.

Icon PlusKindergarten (KiTa)

For faculty, staff, and students of FAU who have children, there is a kindergarten on campus. Parents must apply for a place in the kindergarten. Children may attend kindergarten 5, 8, or 10 hours a day. The kindergarten fee is €110, €135, or €150 per month, respectively. In addition, the kindergarten charges a fee of €1.70 for food and €0.15 for beverages per day. The kindergarten is open the whole year, except for three weeks in summer.

Icon PlusHistorical Archive

The Historical Archive of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Europe is located on the campus of FAU. The Historical Archive provides a broad range of historical information, including some data that you will hardly find anywhere else in the world.

Icon PlusInternet access

Every student at FAU enjoys Internet access 24/7. There is wireless Internet access in all buildings on campus. Students living on campus also have wired Internet access in the student residence. There is also Internet access at the computers in the University Library.

Icon PlusGym

Faithful to its holistic approach to education, FAU provides a gym for physical exercise. Access is free of charge for students. In addition, students may join sports clubs, e.g., badminton club, ballet club, basketball club, table tennis club, tennis club, volleyball club, soccer club. Please get in contact with

Jessica Terhorst

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-150
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

Icon PlusFitness room

In case you are interested in bodybuilding, the fitness room is the place to be. You can have access to the fitness room for just a small fee. Please get in contact with

Ralph Spiegler

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-177
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-120

Icon PlusSoccer field

For everyone who enjoys soccer, the soccer field is the place to be. There are possibilities to play outdoor soccer in summer and indoor soccer in winter. Please get in contact with

Jessica Terhorst

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-150
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

Icon PlusSauna

There is also a sauna on campus, which may be used. Please get in contact with

Jens Schwenger

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-140
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-120

Icon PlusSports clubs

Students may join sports clubs, e.g., badminton club, ballet club, basketball club, table tennis club, tennis club, volleyball club, soccer club. Please get in contact with

Jessica Terhorst

P + 49 (0) 3921 916-150
F + 49 (0) 3921 916-201

Icon PlusStudent common rooms

There are public spaces on campus, e.g. the student center (StuZ), where you can meet people, enjoy non-alcoholic drinks, eat snacks, play games, listen to music, watch TV and movies, enjoy events, etc.

­Life in Germany­

Icon FragezeichenWhat is the weather like in Germany?

Icon Ausrufezeichen

In most Germany, the climate is moderately continental, characterized by

  • cold winters, with average daily temperatures around 0°C (32°F); but during cold waves, temperatures can plunge to -20°C (-4°F)
  • warm summers, with average daily temperatures around 24°C (75°F); but in hot summers, temperatures can even reach 38°C (100°F)

For more information, consult the following websites:



Icon FragezeichenSome important websites

Icon Ausrufezeichen

These are all very good sources to cross-check and gather additional information with regard to almost every aspect of life and student life in Germany (in English or other languages). We encourage you to check them out!

Studying in Germany

Life in Germany

­Scholarships and Funding­

Each student is responsible for financing his/her studies. Good planning is, therefore, necessary. The Admissions Office and the Chancellor's Office would like to support you with this planning. It should not be forgotten that, in addition to tuition, personal requirements, such as rent, food, and health insurance, must be covered.

If a student does not have sufficient means to finance his/her studies, the following scholarships and funding opportunities do exist:

Icon PlusWorking while studying

Generally, EU and non-EU students may work in Germany during the semester and the semester break to the extent usual for students. In accordance with the statutory regulations, students must not work more than 19.5 hours per week during the semester. FAU and the retirement home located on campus provide jobs for students to a limited extent.

Icon PlusDeutschland-Stipendium

The selection committee of FAU awards FAU students with outstanding academic achievements the Deutschlandstipendium from funds of the German federal state and the Förderverein Freundeskreis Friedensau International e.V. (FFF). Every year, 1 to 3 students are awarded €300 per month. For more information, see


Icon PlusDAAD Scholarship

The selection committee of FAU awards international students of FAU with outstanding academic achievements and voluntary commitment the DAAD scholarship from funds of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Förderverein Freundeskreis Friedensau International e.V. (FFF). For more information, see


Icon PlusADRA Grant

The foundation ADRA Stiftung awards grants for the financing of tuition (no fixed amount) to students in the M.A. International Social Sciences program at FAU. The Dean's Office of the School of Social Sciences is responsible for giving information on the grant from ADRA and on application for this grant.

Icon PlusBAföG, the German Federal Training Assistance Act

FAU students may apply for a BAföG grant for their studies. The BAföG grant helps students under 30 or 35 years, irrespective of the financial situation of their family, to be able to complete their training according to their aptitude and interest. Foreigners can receive training assistance, just as Germans can. The concrete requirements for equal treatment depend on the respective status, e.g., citizenship of another EU country, permanent residence permit, recognition as a refugee. For more information, see the website provided by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research: https://www.bafög.de/

Responsible for advice on the BAföG grant and the award of this grand for FAU students is:

Studentenwerk Magdeburg
Johann-Gottlob-Nathusius-Ring 5
39106 Magdeburg

P +49 391 67 18352
F +49 391 67 11513
I https://www.studentenwerk-magdeburg.de