Master of Arts in Music Therapy
Since 1988, music therapy courses have been offered in various forms and course combinations at Friedensau Adventist University (FAU). Nowadays, music therapy can be seen as a practice-oriented branch of science, which is taught as a consecutive master's program at FAU.
Graduates of the M.A. in Music Therapy program are experts in their field on the labor market and qualified for different practical, leadership, and research tasks. The program offers high flexibility in one's choice of career, you can either be employed or self-employed.
Video: Master's program in music therapy in Friedensau
Video: Profile of music therapy in Friedensau
Information and Introductory Events
FAU offers taster studies for prospective students, so that they can get a feel for the M.A. in Music Therapy program. Information and introductory events are offered on a regular basis in Berlin.
In order to gain an impression of the study of Music Therapy at our University, we offer the possibility of a one-week observational participation in the ongoing Study Programme by prior arrangement. In addition, introductory and information days are held regularly. An appointment for this can be made individually and directly at the following address:
Prof. Dr. sc. mus. Petra Jürgens
Telephone: +49 (0) 3921 916-187
Information on the aptitude tests:
Participation is associated with an admission-relevant aptitude test for those interested in the degree programme. However, participation does not oblige to apply and enrol.
Content and Structure
- Music Therapy (introduction, theory, and practice; 40 credits)
- Music Therapy Internships (3 units; 20 credits)
- Psychology (10 credits)
- Health Sciences (10 credits)
- Research Methods (15 credits)
- Ethics (5 credits)
- Master's Thesis (20 credits)
Additional information can be found in the respective Module Handbook.
Learning achievements previously gained in music therapy courses at Friedensau Adventist University and/or the Institut für Musiktherapie Berlin may be recognized for credit in our master's program.
The normal program length is 6 semesters for part-time students. Courses are offered during block weeks, three per semester.
The program has a modular structure. A module consists of several courses, which are grouped in a thematic block. The modules generally take one semester or one year of study.
Passing all individual courses of a module is the requirement for the completion of a module. The overall module grade is the arithmetic mean of the individual course grades. For each module completed, a set number of credits is given according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). The credits are recognized throughout Europe and therefore transferable. Thus, transferring to a study program abroad should be easy.
Graduates of the M.A. in Music Therapy program from FAU can work in the following fields:
Medicine, clinical, in-patient
Adult psychiatry, children and youth psychiatry, neontology, geriatrics, oncology, psychosomatics and psychotherapy, hospice, rehabilitation, pain therapy, etc.
Social and pedagogic
Schools and institutions for people with special needs, children and youth shelters, social and remedial education centers, institutions of leisure education, creative workshops, etc.)
Advisory and preventive
Pastoral care, self-help groups, migration counseling, addiction counseling, crisis intervention, spa industry, salutogenesis, etc.
Freelancer in one’s own social and/or psychotherapeutic office or as a visitor
Teaching and/or research
Focus on music therapy, didactics, or methodology in training or research facilities
For all applicants, the prerequisite for the program is a bachelor's degree in social sciences, social pedagogy, psychology, educational sciences, music, sociology, or in an equivalent field of study with a final grade of at least 2.5 (or GPA of 3.5 or better in the American grading system). Applicants with a bachelor's degree in other fields of study, must prove knowledge in certain fields or enroll in some modules of the B.A. in Social Work program of FAU.
Moreover, applicants must provide proof of at least 50 hours in self-perception courses. Exceptions may be made by the examination committee of the School of Social Sciences of FAU.
All applicants must prepare for an interview with a music therapy expert. Applicants must provide written proof of the interview with a remark stating that the applicant most probably is fit/conditionally fit/unfit to become a music therapist. If an applicant is assessed as unfit in the interview, the necessary requirements are not met. If an applicant is assessed as conditionally fit in the interview, study permission might be granted under certain conditions.
Furthermore, all applicants must do a music aptitude test according to German law (§ 27(7) sentence 2 of the Lower Saxony-Anhalt Higher Education Act). This aptitude test serves first and foremost to assess the musical communication competence of the applicant. The test is carried out by the program director and an external examiner. After the aptitude test, the applicant will receive a certificate with a remark stating that the applicant is either fit/conditionally fit/unfit to become a music therapist.
Foreign applicants who have little or no knowledge of German may take a one-year course in German as a Foreign Language at Friedensau Adventist University. Applicants must otherwise be able to demonstrate good knowledge of German, e.g. by successfully passing a test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF examination) with at least 2x TDN 4 and 2x TDN 3.
In order to be admitted to the M.A. in Music Therapy program, a valid degree in one of the following fields is the minimum prerequisite:
- Social work
- Social sciences
- Educational sciences
Moreover, the applicant must
- show personal, musical, and professional aptitude
- participate in an information and introductory event
- participate in an interview
- Submit the complete application file online within the application deadline.
- The application for admission will be examined by the Admissions Committee and the Finance Committee within 1 week to 1 month. The decision on admission will be made under consideration of the admission capacity and the clarified student financing.
- The applicant will be notified in writing by e-mail within one week after the meeting if the Admissions Committee and Finance Committee.
- Admitted applicants will be asked to transfer the down payment and the deposit to FAU within 2-3 weeks after being informed about the decision on admission, EU citizens by August 31 at the latest, non-EU citizens by May 31 at the latest.
- Upon the receipt of the down payment and deposit, the Admissions Office will send the letter of admission as well as information for the start of studies and the arrival to the prospective student. In case the student needs a visa, further documents relevant for the embassy will be sent within 1 month.
- Information on visa: Prospective students need a student visa. Please check in advance how much time you need in order to get an appointment at the respective embassy. The visa application normally takes 6-8 weeks.
- Applicants for the M.A. in Music Therapy and M.A. in Counseling programs will be contacted by the Admissions Office regarding the certificates of participation in a self-perception course, the results of the interviews (1 for Music Therapy, 2 for Counseling), and the aptitude test (only for Music Therapy) later in the admissions procedure. There is no need to upload these documents.
The easiest way for applicants to Friedensau is the online application—simply create a user account and start your application right away.